Jan 17, 2010

Yummy Gummies!

About a week and a half ago, Razz and I made homemade gummies! We had friends over tonight and made some more so I thought I'd let you see what we were up to. They were so good and easy, plus it helped me get rid of some of the Jello that has been in my cupboard for ages. I don't like Jello, but I like gummies. Weird, but true. So, I got the recipe from SkipToMyLou, an addicting crafting site. I have used a ton of things there, like the instructions for chef hat I made for Razz and fun templates for cards. Anywho, here's the recipe! You'll need a mold, and a pan or cup measure with a spout as well as water, Jello, and unflavored gelatin. First we whisked 1/3 C water, 1 pkg Jello, and 2 packets unflavored gelatin in a pan and let sit for 10 minutes for the gelatin to absorb a bit of the water. (Mr. CB said that to make it "healthier" we should use juice. A good suggestion, but I keep forgetting. It would probably make them a little more flavorful too!)

Next, turn on the burner to medium and stir until the gelatin is dissolved. We discovered that if you whisk vigorously it creates a foam which gives the gummies a lighter texture.

Once the gelatin is dissolved, let it cool for a minutes so you don't melt your molds! But don't wait too long! Pour slowly (I learned that lesson the hard way!) to fill your molds evenly.


Do you like my molds? Did you notice what they were? That's right! Advent calendar trays! We went to the Christmas clearance section at Walmart and scored these puppies for 60 cents a piece. WoOt! Plus, we saved the chocolate to coat the gummies with. Don't mock it till you try it. Delicious....

...and Disastrous.  Apparently, these gummies don't do well in a warm chocolate bath. Next time I'll just put chocolate chips in the molds and then pour the hot gummies on top. Here is what our finished project looked like (minus the chocolate!).


Yum! They were gone super fast, so I had to make a couple more batches ;). Now all I need are some worm molds...

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is such a cool idea. I wish I could do cool stuff like that. I wish I was there so that i could try some :D I am glsd you and RazzleFrazzle had so much fun.

    ReplyDelete