May 6, 2010

Bake Sale Success!!

Last week I held a bake sale with the help of one of the honor societies on campus for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (Thank you Mortar Board!). My awesome cousin Katie died of CF a few years ago, and my darling nephew Peter fights it today and every day. As always, I went a little overboard. I made seven different types of cupcakes, normal and chocolate rice krispies, s'more bars, and brownies. See that container under the table...
it holds 200 cupcakes. I filled 2 of them. That's 400 cupcakes, plus the odd 150 other baked goods I made. It only took me two days, and honestly wasn't that bad.
We held our "Goodies for a Good Cause" for 2 days, 5 hours a day. I have to say THANK YOU to my awesome sister Kay on the right who flew in Sunday and manned the table the next Monday and Tuesday while I was in class.
I honestly did not know how I was going to pull it off. I had a ton of volunteers help out from Mortar Board, like the sweet lady on the left, but there were a couple time slots that nobody could make, even me. When I came up with this idea it was a bolt out of the blue, as if the Lord said "Cherry, you're doing a bake sale. I know it's finals and this is crazy, but I'll take care of it if you have the faith." And He did! He flew in Kay unexpected! I didn't know she would be here until 4 days before the bake sale. To make things even more exciting, Peter's dad Jacob flew in too! It was awesome to show him how much we love and support his family in a tangible (and tasty!) way.
The bake sale was a total success! By the end of the first day we had $123!! We didn't sell anywhere close to half of all the goodies, so the second day we reduced the price. Nearing the end we started giving cupcakes away. Several people were so touched they threw whatever change they had on them into the pot. We moved a lot more cupcakes, but we made less. Grand total was $200, which coincidentally was the same number of cupcakes we had left over!! Mr. CB had the awesome idea of giving them to the Domestic Abuse Shelter. They were thrilled :)!
Here's Kay next to the poster of my sweet nephew explaining a little about CF.
100% of the money will go to the CFF via my Great Strides walk in June. If you haven't donated yet, there's still time! Or better yet, join our team and help us raise money to fight CF. For more information, please visit Peter's Pavement Pounders website and click on Walk with us!

Once again a huge thank you to Kay, Mom, Mr. CB, Peter's Dad and Mom, Mortar Board, and especially the Lord for helping out. I couldn't have pulled it off without you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment